-
May 26th, 2003, 10:54 AM
#51
Inactive Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Tempus sans ITC, Papyrus,Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#000000"><font size=2 face="Tempus sans ITC, Papyrus,Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Juliet10:
Thanks for that Terry [img]smile.gif[/img]
*mumbles something about being tired of certain Americans saying that if he doesn't make it in the US he might as well give up*
Michelle
xx</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh, but the US *is* the centre of the universe, riiiiight? [img]wink.gif[/img]
xxSam
-
May 26th, 2003, 11:20 AM
#52
Twizzle
Guest
Welcome [img]smile.gif[/img]
I posted it as a favour to a friend but I'd like to say that I be very interested to see if Devon could substantiate her statement that he'd been dropped by Sony US.
*is curious*
<font color="#9966FF" size="1">[ May 26, 2003 08:27 AM: Message edited by: Twizzle ]</font>
-
May 26th, 2003, 12:15 PM
#53
Inactive Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Tempus sans ITC, Papyrus,Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#000000"><font size=2 face="Tempus sans ITC, Papyrus,Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Twizzle:
Okay! Re Devon's insistance that DH was dropped by Sony US, here's something that's been brought to my knowledge.
Here is the official statement that was issued by Roadshow:
"This morning several Australian media outlets ? newspapers and radio - ran a news piece as written by journalist Nui Te Koha regarding Darren Hayes supposedly being `dumped as a high priority act by his US record label'.
Roadshow Music on behalf of Columbia Records USA and John Woodruff ? Darren's label owner & publisher - has issued the following statements in response to this article.
"We were both angry and disappointed regarding the false rumor about Darren Hayes and Columbia Records. Darren is one of the most uniquely talented vocalists in the world. He is one of the most gifted and valued artists in the Columbia Records Group family worldwide. We look forward to his continued success." - Will Botwin, President, Columbia Records Group.
"I am particularly disappointed that such an untrue story would be printed in Darren's home country and it is an embarrassment for us all that this journalist is attempting to discredit one of Australia's most successful and talented sons. Darren is presently flying to the UK to perform in front of 150,000 fans as one of the headline acts at `The Party In The Park' annual live music event being held in London's Hyde Park. ? Chris Chard, Managing Director, Roadshow Entertainment.
Darren's label and publisher John Woodruff said, " such is the price we all pay for being Australian". "The article is a complete fabrication, and nothing could be further from the truth." "Nui once again has manufactured popularist copy. Darren and Kylie are the only two Australian artists this year to sell more than one million albums. In fact he will by Christmas have sold more than a million albums in the UK alone."
Darren Hayes as part of Savage Garden sold over 20 million albums worldwide. Their single `Hold Me' was recently acclaimed at the 2002 APRA Music awards as the Most Performed Australian Work. `SPIN' has sold in excess of 60,000 copies in Australia since its release in April, with the first single `Insatiable' attaining gold status sales. Roadshow Music has every faith that Darren Hayes future as a solo recording and performing artist will be every bit as successful as his career with Savage Garden both here in Australia and internationally."
Case closed methinks! [img]smile.gif[/img] </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's what they call fixing bad press. There was an uproar and they couldn't let it go so they issued a statement that is in short saying what the newspaper said. Fancy wording again. Notice they point out he's sold quite well in the UK but not so well in AUS and they don't even mention how well he's done in the USA. This whole message was to defuse a violatile situation. And it confirms what I already said, you just have to read beyond the lawyer speak.
Oh and statement here: Roadshow Music has every faith that Darren Hayes future as a solo recording and performing artist will be every bit as successful as his career with Savage Garden both here in Australia and internationally."
Roadshow is NOT Sony. Roadshow is another label that has contracts with Sony. Also not how they say Australia and internationally? No mention of the USA once again. Of course he'll do well internationally, if you're thinking of the UK.
Call up Sony USA and ask for the priority artist list and they'll tell you. Guess what? Darren's not on that list. In fact almost 30 artists have been dropped from that list in the past year.
This guy: Will Botwin, President, Columbia Records Group is head of the international division, and I think he was removed in the recent changeover and cut backs.
<font color="#9966FF" size="1">[ May 26, 2003 09:21 AM: Message edited by: Devon Saxon ]</font>
-
May 26th, 2003, 12:24 PM
#54
Inactive Member
Also there is a difference between being removed as a priority act and being removed from the label. Will smith was removed from the label. Darren just isn't important to Sony now. He may make an international album, but they wouldn't do anything to promote it, nor would he have the millions to spend on videos and tours (thus the too close for comfort tour which couldn't even fill small venues) that someone like Celen Dion has (because she's a priority artist).
-
May 26th, 2003, 12:33 PM
#55
Twizzle
Guest
Well Devon, I guess until someone can come up with some concrete <font color=white>proof</font> on either side, then it's not an open and shut case is it? The majority here and on other DH boards will believe the Roadshow statement unless you or anyone else can <font color=white>prove</font> otherwise.
And, re your "too close for comfort tour which couldn't even fill small venues" statement, I think that's untrue. He sold out nearly all of his venues here in the UK.
One more thing *lol*. You said Also note how they say Australia and internationally? No mention of the USA once again. Of course he'll do well internationally, if you're thinking of the UK. Now, surely the USA would come under the 'internationally' part of that statement wouldn't it? Or is the USA not international but some seperate entity? How can you think that the USA is somehow excluded from that statement?
<font color="#9966FF" size="1">[ May 26, 2003 09:51 AM: Message edited by: Twizzle ]</font>
-
May 26th, 2003, 01:03 PM
#56
DarrensPassion
Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Tempus sans ITC, Papyrus,Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#000000"><font size=2 face="Tempus sans ITC, Papyrus,Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Devon Saxon:
Also there is a difference between being removed as a priority act and being removed from the label. Will smith was removed from the label. Darren just isn't important to Sony now. He may make an international album, but they wouldn't do anything to promote it, nor would he have the millions to spend on videos and tours (thus the too close for comfort tour which couldn't even fill small venues) that someone like Celen Dion has (because she's a priority artist).</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually nearly all of Darren's concerts here in the UK were a sell out!! They even had to add extra dates, especially in London to accommodate all those people who wanted to see him but couldn't get tix for the first two London shows.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens when he releases his next album as to how well it does.
My guess about the US though is that he moved there so he could live there fairly anonymously because he couldn't even walk down the street in Oz. I think it's fair to say that even in London he might have some trouble living as freely as in the US seeing as how he is much better known here, although I reckon with a baseball cap pulled down around his ears, he could slip into the crowds unnoticed LOL I'm not entirely sure whether Darren wants the mega success that being famous in the US would entail? I think he is not a person held hostage to fame and fortune and it seems from the royalties he's already amassed that he could easily retire tomorrow if he so wished. He's often said it's not about selling records, but about producing the kind of music he wants to make. If it sells well, great - if not well so be it.
Janie xx
-
May 26th, 2003, 01:24 PM
#57
BarbT
Guest
My fave article from last year:
INDEPENDENCE DAY
Darren Hayes is ready to silence his critics once and for all.
LAUREN McMENEMY reports.
GOSSIP and rumour seem to follow Darren Hayes like a bad smell these days. Since the former face of Savage Garden went solo, it?s been one thing after the other ? the ?acrimonious split? rumour, the hair allegations, the record company rumbles ? all unfounded. And through it all, he?s held his head high.
?I have to state that all of those things you mentioned are completely untrue, and really pissed me off. It really did?, Hayes says, obviously sick of being asked the question. ?I?m at the point in my career now where I?m going to start answering with attorneys because, I mean, when it gets to the point when it?s actually affecting my career, that?s when I?ll get nasty.
?I had my own mother ring me up from Australia in the middle of the night to say did you lose your record deal? Of course I didn?t lose my record deal, that?s ridiculous. I?ll be dead before I get out of my record deal, and it pisses me off, but I think for me it?s a test. It?s a trial through fire, and unfortunately, being Australian, it?s what we do. People will judge me for how I get through this period ? I will respond through sticking around.?
His tour ? the first time he?s stepped out as Darren Hayes, and not Savage Garden ? could be seen as Hayes proving himself. ?Responding to criticism in a way? is how he prefers to see it.
?Music and fashion ? it?s a lottery in many ways, and careers involve highs and lows,? Hayes says. ?But the thing I do feel confident about is my ability to sing and to write songs. That?s why I?m excited about this tour ? you?ll either love it or you?ll hate it but you won?t be able to ignore it.?
Hayes says he wants to get the focus back on his music.
?This is intentionally a theatre tour. I didn?t want there to be another distraction, and hopefully people will leave the show talking about my voice and not my hair, even though I can assure you my hair will look fantastic,? he says with a laugh.
And as for those persistent rumours? ?I think that once I?ve gone through this tour then that?s a far better response than any press release I could put out or a video showing the real Darren,? he says. ?Look, the real me is about to come through your town. Check it out?
Darren Hayes plays with Aneiki at the Thebarton Theatre tomorrow night
.................................................
From what I saw the Adelaide venue was full and I'm grateful Adelaide was included!
<font color="#9966FF" size="1">[ May 26, 2003 09:15 PM: Message edited by: BarbT ]</font>
-
May 26th, 2003, 02:20 PM
#58
Twizzle
Guest
Thanks very much for posting that Barb. [img]smile.gif[/img]
-
May 26th, 2003, 02:42 PM
#59
Inactive Member
(thus the too close for comfort tour which couldn't even fill small venues)...
****************
Actually, it's like Janie said and extra dates were added to fill the demand for his concerts.
Michelle
xx
-
May 26th, 2003, 10:35 PM
#60
Inactive Member
Back to the statement posted by twizzle from roadshow... Tell me. Show me. Where is it in that bit of fluff that it says exactly: Darren Hayes was not dropped as a priority act for Sony USA.
Note... It doesn't. They play up how important he is to other sides of the world.
You guys go on and on about how bad the press is, but you know what? They never completely make things up. It all comes from somewhere. Rumors start with pieces of the truth and expand. The paper heard he wasn't a priority act and played up that he was dropped completely, though they worded that he'd only been dropped as a priority. Which as I've seen, since they only want to promote him in the UK. Notice how at this board and a few others that the UK has become the 'center of the universe'. What did Darren want for xmas? A #1 single in the USA. Guess we all know which market he really wants don't we? So enough of the "usa thinks they're better than us" crap. I'm pointing out what Darren himself stated he wanted in several interviews. Unless of course you don't even take the man's own words at face value anymore.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks